Wow, can you believe it’s already 2020?! The beginning of a new year is a time of joy and hope, but it can also be a time of regret. We hope you can look back on 2019 with pride and know that you did your best to accomplish your goals. Now, it’s time to keep moving forward.
If you are following this blog, you likely have a compassion and love for animals and our planet, and your health is probably important to you. In this blog, we are going to look at developments over the past year relating to the growing trend toward plant-based eating and provide some healthy pointers so we can all look forward to a happy and healthier 2020.
First, here’s some great news! In in a special edition of The World in 2019, economist, John Parker declared 2019 the “year of the vegan.” (1) Is this true? Was 2019 the year of the vegan?
How many people became vegan in 2019? Though it’s difficult to determine exactly how many people became vegan or plant-based in 2019, here at Fruits & Roots, we can tell you that on a daily basis we meet many customers that have decided to make a healthy, compassionate change to a plant-based diet. And lately, it seems that more and more of our guests are sharing their exciting stories with us!
Reasons for converting to a vegan lifestyle vary from health concerns and diagnosis of a disease to concern for animals and the planet, or simply just wanting to live healthier. Whatever the reason, there has been a rapid growth in resources and products over the past year to help drive the vegan movement forward. According to Live Kindly, “One of the reasons more and more people are reducing their intake of animal products is because the range of alternatives on offer is significantly larger — and more appealing — than it has ever has been before. It’s not just all about tofu and broccoli any more (although these foods, of course, have their place). We now have an ever-growing range of vegan “bleeding” burger options made from ingredients such as soy, pea, or mycoprotein, they’re the closest to the real thing we’ve ever had; each with a strikingly similar appearance, taste, and texture to traditional beef burgers.” (2)
This is awesome news for not just the health of those making the change, but for the health of our planet too. Here are just a few of the ways veganism is helping the planet, according to Global Citizen (3):
- Veganism combats world hunger
- It conserves water
- It cleans the soil
- A vegan diet reduces energy consumption
- It even purifies the air
- It’s more ethical
What happens to you when you go plant-based?
There are so many resources we can reference, but hey, at Fruits & Roots we live this every day, so we want to share from real-life experience. Here are just a few ways being plant-based has influenced us and our guests who have made the change.
- Happiness. It may be difficult at first; there is a detox phase, but when your body becomes clean, your mind gets clear as well. A state of joy and awareness becomes heightened. A greater love of self, living things and the planet is awakened or reawakened.
- Weight loss. Many experience the weight loss they have sought, but naturally without stress and hunger
- Disease prevention and treatment. We are not doctors and this is not medical advice, but from our own experience, several of us within the Fruits & Roots family have medical conditions that have been alleviated or become dormant from living this lifestyle. And many of our guests have shared their successes stamping out illness by going vegan and that is a beautiful and amazing thing.
What can you do to make 2020 a year of increased health and happiness?
- Give veganism a try. Whether it’s just a one week challenge or something you want to make a permanent lifestyle choice, take the first step.
- Incorporate small healthy habits into your diet daily; be consistent, and then add more healthy habits. Soon you will have made a significant lifestyle change and taking further steps toward healthy goals will become easier.
- Don’t be so hard yourself. There will be some tough days. Nobody is perfect. It doesn’t mean you failed. It just means you have to get up and try again.
We wish you the best of luck in making 2020 the most successful and healthy year yet! Your Fruits & Roots family is always here to support you in achieving your goals. #letsdothis
#FruitsnRootsStuart #StuartFlorida #Vegancafe #Organic #NonGMO #FarmtoTable #Vegan #VeganFood #Salads #Sandwiches #Flatbreads #Paninis #VeganGrilledCheese #BlackBeanBurgers #Smoothies #SmoothieBowls #AcaiBowls #FruitBowls #VeganCheesecake #ChiaPudding #ColdPressedJuices #Elixirs #Kombucha #CraftCoffee #CraftBeer #OrganicWines #ThankYou #WeDoItForYou
Fruits and Roots Juice Bar and Vegan Cafe, Stuart, Florida
Shoppes on Colorado
710 S Colorado Ave., Stuart, FL 34994 | 772-678-6627
Open Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.